Sunday, July 1, 2007

June 18: Tallinn to Helsinki via ferry crossing - 25 km

The rain had abated when I woke, but had obviously continued for most of the night. The tent was wet inside and it needed a repeat of my first morning’s drying technique: sleeping bags, pads, tent, towels and groundsheet were strung up into the wind. As we finished breakfast (toasted ciabatta and sausage again) the rain started once more. Hastily we packed up in an effort to prevent the fabric from getting too damp.

I had intended to ride the short distance to the ferry in ‘street’ clothes. However, with the rain now upon us there seemed little point in letting my one ‘civilian’ outfit get wet. We were all packed up, checked out, tires inflated, bike checked and it was time for the obligatory photo. That done we were off. Well, Lene was. In the 50 metres I had gone for the photo I had got a puncture! I was stressing – we had intended to leave for the ferry at 11:00 and it was already 11:15. I had visions of us missing the ferry due to pierced rubber. I am sure I looked annoyed, stressed and disbelieving simultaneously.

Lene went for the bus and I was on the road around 11:45. Having stopped and asked for directions at a petrol garage I arrived at Terminal C for the Nordic Jet Line at 12:15, a full 15 mins ahead of the deadline.

As told, I ‘checked in’ via the vehicle entrance and then stood in the rain and wind for 30 minutes, along with a couple on a motorbike. How I wished I was wearing their leathers – they looked so warm and comfortable. The complete opposite of how I felt. I of course was the last ‘vehicle’ to board and having secured the bike (against a pallet full of beer and a locked cage of other duty free goods) I joined Lene in the warm confines of the ship’s lounge. The crossing was smooth and we played cards most of the way – all you could see through the portals was grey sky or water.

Upon arrival in Finland it was still raining. I was once again the last off the boat and waited a while in the drizzle to clear passport control. But I was here – in my final country of this great adventure. Having failed to raise a response from the YMCA of Finland regarding accommodation they were arranging we aimed for the tourist information office in the centre of Helsinki, a short walk away. Having got directions we then made our way to the Arthur Hotel, owned by the YMCA of Helsinki in the slim hope that a reservation had been made for us there and that I did not get the message. After Krakow, who knows what plans may have been made? As expected we came up empty. The hotel was fully booked to boot. However, the original plan had been to camp and the clerk at reception called the campground we were heading to. Good news, they had just opened a hostel that very day and had plenty of beds available. The thought of a solid roof, not canvas, over my head sounded good. Off we went, via a Chinese restaurant, Lene by metro, me on two wheels.

I will highly recommend Rastila campsite and hostel. The rooms were very clean, affordable and of a standard I am not used to in a hostel – we even had a kitchen in our room. Sauna was also available, though all I wanted was dry clothes, a shower and food (surprise).

No comments: