Sunday, July 1, 2007

June 20: Sysma to Jyvaskyla - 116 km






One of the factors that has made the biggest difference to my mindset on this trip is how early I get on the road in the morning. Earlier is better as it allows that ‘magic’ number of 100 km to be reached as early as possible. With this in mind, I was away before 8. I had been aiming for 7, but given the fact that it is hard to get so sleep before midnight in this part of the world at this time of year, due to the light, I was happy with this.

My ride plan was simple: scream through 50 km before stopping. This, I figured, would be about halfway for the day. Despite the continued hills the forest provided me with protection from the wind, and without this invisible wall pushing me backwards I was flying. It was a sunny, but cold day and I was dressed in winter gear – calf-length shorts, shoe covers, arm warmers. I had taken 4 chocolate bars with me and excess water with the intention of getting to Korpilahti before refuelling. In Finland of all places I had set my fastest speed of the trip – 70 km/h (45 mph) on a descent. (The descents in the Balkans/Tatras were probably steeper but they were also twistier, forcing me to brake much more frequently). I was very low on food, as I had eaten most of it due to high intensity effort of the morning thus far. I am sure it was my mood and not actually lack of blood sugar, but I seemed to be going slower than before, and all I could think about was where could I buy food.

Then as I swept downhill around a right hand curve I saw Lene pulled over in bus lay-by. My mood instantly improved. It continued to improve as I consumed a sandwich, crisps, chocolate, biscuits and whatever else she had in the car. Yes, really, this whole support-crew thing cannot be overrated. The pros have it made – new wheel, food, water, extra blood cells when you need it!

I was now into the last 40 km of my trans-European ride. Despite the food my energy seemed low and I did the only reasonable thing I could: I stopped and got help from the nutrition team in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Yep, it was time for the last Coke of the ride. Fortified by caramel, various e-numbers and caffeine I drove on towards Jyvaskyla. Lene was waiting at the Jyvaskyla (region) sign and we took the photo I had been dreaming of: the bike hoisted high above my head in celebration with the sign in the background.

I remember my first view of Jyvaskyla clearly: crossing the bridge over the main road and seeing the top of the clock tower and church. I was there! I duly passed the city limit sign at exactly 14:30, though truth be told I had no idea where I was in Jyvaskyla relevant to the landmarks I knew (train station, University). I resisted the temptation to follow signs to Paviljonki on the main road (my brother’s house is next to the pavilion) and was rewarded by being led directly to the train station. I bumped up the curb to the right and took the bike bridge over the 12+ tracks. I SMSed Lene to say I would be there in two mins. Less than 60 secs later I was at the front door to my bro’s apartment complex. The workmen were eyeing me with a combination of interest and suspicion.

I had done it. I was here – from Albania! Somewhat strangely I did not feel this great sense of euphoria. Maybe because there was no welcoming party to congratulate me /celebrate with - Geoff was in Chicago and the locals could have cared less. It was just another day in the saddle safely negotiated. A shower, clean clothes and food were in order.

No comments: