Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Eve of the Ride


“A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun.” ~Bill Emerson

Equipment has been tightened, greased, adjusted, washed, and packed.

My test ride has been completed, clothes packed, spokes replaced, wheels trued, brakes overhauled and my list of necessary supplies/equipment checked and re-checked.

To paraphrase Freddie Mercury and Queen all that is left to do now is to get on my bike and ride. And so it will be that tomorrow at approximately 7 am local time, while most of you are sleeping, that I will climb onto my steel stallion and begin my journey across the continent of Europe.

I do not expect to sleep much tonight. For one I have had a cold since yesterday and my sleep was occasional last night to say the least. However, even at 100% a combination of nerves and excitement would undoubtedly keep my mind active and oppose sleep: How tough will the climb be on the bike once I enter Montenegro? After all the preparation and planning the time is now and how wonderful it will be to see Europe from the bike, How far will I get before I break a spoke? What exotic sights, sounds and smells will I experience? How much saddle soreness will I suffer from? Should I turn off along the ‘small’, lightly trafficked road to Bosnia or stay on the main route where the road surface should be better but traffic volume heavier? Will I get to Sarajevo in two days or will it really take me three? Will I reach my fundraising target? And so on and so on.

Thank you again to those of you who have already supported this cause and made a contribution on behalf of yourself or a YMCA. For those that have not yet had the opportunity, gifts can still be made via the link to the right.

Some of you I will meet along the route and I look forward to seeing you soon. Ride updates will be posted here every 2-3 days and I encourage you to visit as time allows and follow my ride north.

Best wishes,

No comments: