Wednesday, May 30, 2007

May 28: Sarajevo to somewhere in Bosnia, 189 km

Was out the door at 7:10 and ready to roll. However, bank cards would not work at ATM and I was delayed waiting for bureau de change to open.

Lots of climbing early in the day and my stomach did not feel good. Most of the day I felt nauseous. Had my first cola at 9 am. Sky Cola was on offer. NOt the 'Real Thing' but it did proclaim 'original American taste'!

Once again got rained on - this time the storm was accompanied by pea size hail. Though I took shelter under trees the 'ting ting' sound of hail on my bike helmet was heard repeatedly.

Gradually I came out of the mountains and was making good time. However, I ended up the wrong road despite asking three people to confirm where I was! Originally frustrated I then realised that if I just kept on riding I would meet back up with my intended route tomorrow and effectively both options were two sides of a diamond.

Camping that night was not an option as I passed multiple signs proclaiming 'danger - mines' at the roadside. Instead opted for a hotel, figuring that 10 euros was a small price to pay in order to be assured of keeping both my legs. I raced the sunset north towards the Bosnian/Croatian border at Orasje. I won. Just. My room was above a restuarant and was sparse. But after 189 km what did I care? I just needed food and sleep.

Food was easy and I went down for dinner. Steak and fries. Sleep proved more difficult as my stomach refused to digest what I had eaten and my sleep was fegularly interrupted at 90 minute or so intervals with trips to the bathroom!

No comments: